Valaya Alongkorn Rajabhat University under the Royal Patronage (formerly Petchburiwittayalongkorn Teachers College) was established on 4 June 1932. It was named after the founder, Her Royal Highness Princess Valaya Alongkorn Krom Luang Petchburi Rajsirindhorn, who was one of His Majesty King Chulalongkorn’s daughters. She donated a plot of land on Petchburi Road in Bangkok to found the Petchburiwittayalongkorn Teachers Training School.
Later in 1937, the name was changed to Petchburiwittayalongkorn School for Girls; however, the part of the name “for Girls” was omitted when it became a co-ed school in1946.
It was developed into a teachers college on 1 October 1970. In 1972, the college was extended to its present site at Km 48 Phahonyothin Road, Klongluang District, Pathum Thani Province, with an area of 294 rai (2.53 rai = one acre)
On 14 November 1974, the college was granted permission to be under the Royal Patronage of His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej (Rama IX), the present King. According to the 1975 Teachers College Act, the college could offer Certificate and Bachelor’s degree programs.
On 14 February 1992, His Majesty the King gave the title “Rajabhat” to all Teachers Colleges in Thailand and permitted them to use His Royal Emblem as each college’s seal. Thus, the name of the college was changed to Rajabhat Institute Petchburiwittayalongkorn.
Three years later on 24 January 1995, the Rajabhat Institute Act was passed thereby extending the institute’s academic provisions to post-graduate levels.
On 20 September 2003, the name of the institute was changed to Rajabhat Institute Valaya Alongkorn. On 15 June 2004, the Rajabhat University Act was passed thereby upgrading the institute to become Valaya Alongkorn Rajabhat University.